Friday, March 13, 2015

Song of the Day #134 - Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Fairyland all around us...

I can't find this on Youtube yet, it's kinda hard to search for it cause it's the album title too. When Age of Adz came out, I think I was the first one to upload it, but I put it all to footage of me playing Tetris and thus the videos that just used the album art got more attention. Oh well.

Today there was a new Kendrick Lamar single and a new Death Grips single, but I'm not gonna listen to either of them 'cause spoilers. The full albums will be out soon enough, and I'm definitely gonna give them full reviews. Also I can't stop listening to this song, if I go more than 5 minutes without hearing it, there's a celestial echo of one of the lyrics and I start weeping uncontrollably. If you had asked me what was the absolutely essential elements of Sufjan Stevens, the ones that are key to a good Sufjan song, I would have said... idk some stupid crap about horns or history or something. No, no. The crucial elements are: counting at the song's beginning; poetic imagery; "interweaving" banjo and guitar; mysterious significance of lyrical content; a part where the melody drops down an octave and a piano accompanies it; an ending which is entirely indescribable...

No comments: