Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Song of the Day #146 - A Silver Mt. Zion - There Is A Light

And we surrender the stage to those pale horse riders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOL8qS1pQUI

I watched Hibike! Euphonium episode 8 a bit ago and I felt very emotional about it and I went out walking until the bugs became too unbearable. Now I am back home and I am so emotional that I chose this as "song of the day" instead of reviewing At.Long.Last.A$AP like I had planned to. It just isn't the sort of thing I'm in the mood to do. Usually I shy away from choosing songs that I feel are too close to me emotionally, or too grand to easily say something about, but I'm going to dodge that mostly by talking mostly about this episode and then maybe connecting it to the song briefly somewhere around the end.

Okay so... Hibike! is fantastic so far, right? Like, easily Kyoani's best show since Hyouka, or possibly even better than that. No yeah it's better than that I think. The animation is gorgeous, radiant... there's just the right mixture between dramatic and calm, happy and sad, driven and everyday... The emotional texture of the show is rich and exquisite, with... man, I dunno, what can I say? It's like, near perfect, and I've been telling everyone that I can think of to watch it.

And then, as a reward for recommending it, I guess, this episode took the aspect of the show I enjoyed most and was most interested in and developed it in a way that was way too ideal for me to even begin imagining. Like seriously could they have made that scene any more beautiful? Could anyone think of even one tiny thing they could have changed to improve it? It's so good I don't even feel happy. It's like finding out the existence of light itself: now all is darkness. Or something. I don't know. I'm not thinking straight. It's too much. It's way too much.

No comments: