Monday, December 21, 2015

Song of the Day #245 - Riff Raff - Bird on a Wire (ft. Action Bronson)

Hopin' that my days don't get darkened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ohbKidZLiA

We're getting near the end of the year, which means for me two things. The first is nice - everyone is going on vacation (not that I know what that word means #neet4life), Christmas is coming, lots of sleeping in and pancakes... the other one is much sillier: PANIC ABOUT COMPLETING BLOG POSTS. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I put a lot of significance into annual chunking, yearly lists, etc etc. I'm down to basically two things I want to finish by the end of the year, and they're both really long, and they're gonna take a lot of time and effort, and I genuinely have no idea why anyone would want to read them. This isn't self-pity or fishing for a counterpoint or whatever, it's just a fact... I'm not writing things for other people.

It's in this spirit of abandon and irreverence, i.e. "trying hard for no discernible reason", that we look at "Bird on a Wire", a song that is basically perfect on every single level but the effort in attaining this perfection seems totally disproportionate to whatever appreciation they could have received. Am I basically saying that I'm the anime blogging Riff Raff with no fans? Uhhh, yes. It certainly seems like I have said that. It is, at least, a goal.

I actually have a lot of thoughts about this song but it's pretty late and I'm tired from working on other stuff. Just read the lyrics and listen to it over and over again and try to predict what I would say. I've done 245 of these so you might have a good shot at it. Whewwwwww, I am beat. It has been a long day. "In the morning do karate in the water/Hear sounds of samurai" is the best part of Bronson's verse and the entirety of Riff Raff's verse is the best part of his, and maybe the best part of music in general. That's the most important part to understand.

No comments: