Wednesday, November 24, 2010

song of the day 2 - "Ddiamondd" by Battles

Battles - "Ddiamondd"

So I was looking for new torrents, and I saw that the new Daft Punk album was the most active of the week, and I thought, "hey I wonder where it stands on the most active albums ever"? So I went to the collages to look for the one that lists most snatched torrents that have never been freeleech where I noticed someone uploading a bunch of "Best of the Decade charts". As I was looking through of them, I remembered Mirrored, and felt horrible that I had forgotten Mirrored. And even though "Atlas" is like the "master piece", I always liked "Ddiamondd" better, something about the infectious whistling I think. I also finally got the idea to look up the lyrics for this song, having previously thought that they were just making a bunch of noises. Turns out they're words! And really cool words at that!

So, in that fashion, here is this story done in an estimation of their lyrical style:
(Sing incomprehensibly fast while every instrument you can think of plays every cool sound they can think of)

While observing trends in torrents recollection of the past
good music leads me to nostalgic new enlightning discovery
and shame about forgetting in turn makes enthusiasm
for making up for lost time for making up for past ignorances

Searching for the meaning of the code of words so oft repeated
Told that it was English but forgive my S-K-Epticism
And scratched upon the bottom of analysis of meaning
A laughably simple and misguided claim of allegory

So that's that!

Also this blog has a TAG

1 comment:

rostilfc said...

I remember seeing Battles at Oxegen in 2008, having been recommended by several people to do so, and I was massively underwhelmed.

It's not that I didn't like their stuff so much; it's just I felt like so many of their songs seemed to be building to some absolutely epic climax which then never came. Just when I thought they'd kick it up another notch and there's be an explosion of heavy music, they just sort of faded the song out and then went onto the next one. It was like being repeatedly blue-balled but with instrumental math rock.

I should probably give them a proper listen again sometime, especially given that it's been two and a half years since then, but I moved on to God is an Astronaut instead, who had played lower down the billing on the same day, and who I thought put on far more of a show and whose music I enjoyed far more.