Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"song of the day"

SONG OF THE DAY

so this blog needs MORE ACTIVITY so I'm going to start talking about a song every day.

I kinda wish I had started with a song with some deep significance or something but I dunno I think it's better to just go with whatever song I found most enjoyable that day.

So today it's this one:

Skrillex - Scatta (ft. Foreign Beggars and Bare Noize)

So I dunno I keep changing my mind about dubstep. Mainly I can't keep it straight if I like this song or "like this song" in the way that I like Rick Ross and such. I mean, on the one hand, the whole thing is just straight up excess. The whole genre, or at the popular subset of it that I associate with it in its modern form, seems to be a contest on who can get filthier with their beats, scored in clever Youtube comments describing said dirtiness. On the other hand, it's not like doing such a thing is easy, even if the target is so clear... dirty. There's a science to the dirtiness of beats, the timing of drops, the vocal samples and what they say. Analyzing a song like this the level of each note, word and reveals an interesting structure built out of fairly simple components. Like a filthy, filthy diamond.

You've got a big wobbling base with a synth line beneath it and then several heavy heavy drums. The drops are gaping and monstrous, but fairly simple when you actually think about it. The vocals are pretty impressive, ridiculous flow from the Foreign Beggars guy on his verse, the repeated line of "When I touch mic I see them all scatter/As if I had a clutch on a magnum" is pretty cool but again it's all fairly simple stuff. So what makes this song great - because it is great, I don't think I can listen to it over and over for as long as I have and still deny that - and not just an exercise in cramming together a bunch of dubstep elements? I can't answer that with analysis. You just have to listen to it, and notice that, no matter how many times you hear it, the moment around the minute mark when the guy from Foreign Beggars finishes the line and the beat does this huge wobbly explosion just kills you. And then they bring up the synth line and he starts his verse: "You're just another pawn in my game". BAM

Other Stuff

Novel isn't progressing well. Game is progressing kind of well. I'm writing up another big blog post on a bunch of stuff. I should probably do them less frequently and on one subject a piece. That's probably just strictly better. Oh well.

No comments: