Thursday, June 26, 2014

Song of the Day #54 - ゆうゆ - endleSSStation

Happy 10th Anniversary to Yume Nikki!


What a wonderful game... it completely birthed a new genre in games that, while relatively niche, remains one of my absolute favorites and is still actively producing great games. 24 EFFECTS is a collaborative remix album of the game's soundtrack, and I honestly think it might be one of my favorite albums of all time. This is one of the most exciting tracks on it - the breakbeat is completely on point and professional level, and combined with loops of the simple melodies of the game produces and effect that seems at once scattered and insane but also very focused... I'd be curious as to what someone who hadn't played the game would think of this, though. For me, these melodies are so evocative of their original areas that all the emotions (and there are a ton, because this is Yume Nikki) that I associate with them come back in full force. The end result is like... melancholy breakcore... a very rare sort of aesthetic and associated feeling. But a really great one too.

No comments: