Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Song of the Day #53 - DJ Shadow - Building Steam with a Grain of Salt

There were a few mistakes...


I was talking to my friend about how much we both disliked steampunk... I said that I don't like people who think they'd fit in better to some other age or culture, especially if that culture never actually existed. Like, go ahead and fetishize a culture, sure, have all the fun you want there, but don't think that your terrible social skills would somehow make you super popular then. I think people conflate this fantasy of popularity in their fetishized culture with the fantasies about the culture itself and it dilutes them (the cultural fantasies)... so they aren't even as good as me because I don't even try to involve myself in my cultural fantasies.

Oh but yeah I was trying to show him some terrible steampunk hip hop thing I had seen on yourkickstartersucks awhile ago and when I was searching for it this song came up and I was like oh sick this song I like this song. That's all, time for bed.

No comments: