Saturday, February 7, 2015

The highest and lowest rated episodes of various shows on IMDb

What are you doing now?

I just found out that on IMDb, you can rate individual episodes of TV shows! Wow! And since IMDb has a small army of people who must rate absolutely everything they watch (I can relate!), major TV shows actually have thousands of ratings for every episode!

Okay so when you find out about something like this, you have to go through and see what the "best" and "worst" episodes of all your favorite shows are, right? Um, I do, at least.

Is this really the best use of your time?

That isn't the sort of question you get to ask around this blog!

Arrested Development
Top rated: s03e13: Development Arrested - 9.3
This was the finale to the original series. Was it really so good? I dunno, I felt a few things fell a bit flat at the end, a few kinda awkwardy twists? That's just me, though. It was fine overall. I think my favorite episode is the one where they make the house, it's just so silly. Or maybe GOB's first episode in Season 4?
Lowest rated: s04e02: Borderline Personalities - 7.3
This is the first George Sr. episode of the 4th season. Idk I have beef in general with a lot of stuff in the fourth season and yeah this one seemed especially weak. It was a bit confusing in premise and structure, and I don't remember any killer jokes.

Breaking Bad
Top rated: s05e14: Ozymandias - 10.0
Wow omg a perfect 10. This is a crazy episode and I guess it deserves it if anything does. I didn't watch this show week to week, so a lot of the episodes blend together and I remember scenes mainly... the ending of this one is certainly a standout, but I think my favorite has to be the ending of Crawl Space.
Lowest rated: s03e10: Fly - 7.4
Ah yeah, I kinda expected this. I had heard about this episode before I started watching the show, and I thought it was a neat idea, and I asked my dad about it and he said it was whatever. And yeah, it's good, like, it's well done, but most episodes of the show offered a whole lot more.

Chappelle's Show
Top rated: s02e04 - 8.8
This is... you know what this is. This is the Rick James episode, obviously! I first saw this at a friend of my dad's house, and everyone there was just howling with laughter. The Wayne Brady episode is 2nd, which I appreciate, but I have a real soft spot for the one where the musical guest is Kanye, Freeway and Mos Def doing Two Words. One of my favorite performances of all time, and the rest of the episode is great too.
Lowest rated: s03e02 - 6.4
Idk I feel like I only saw the "season 3" episodes like once or twice, I can barely remember this, whatever.

Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule
Top rated: s03e01: Planes - 9.5
These didn't have a lot of votes, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that only the most diehard fans are bothering, but it makes me happy to see them with such high scores regardless. This was a craaaazy episode, escalating things into huge new emotional dimensions and introducing lots of season 3 favorites. I think my favorite is probably Church, though, where things just get... really insane.
Lowest rated: s01e02: Relationships - 7.8
Okay yeah I can see this... Jan and Wayne stuff is really hit and miss for people. I think that's prolly why Space is rated so low, too, despite it having the scene where he names the planets, which I think is one of my absolute favorites.

Community
Top rated: s01e23: Modern Warfare - 9.8
Wowwwwww imdb sure loves paintball. I didn't like this episode a whole lot. I never really like it when sitcom characters are presented as "badass", even a little. The other two paintball episodes made the top 5... But second is Remedial Chaos Theory, which is prolly my favorite episode, so that's good.
Lowest rated: s04e07: Economics of Marine Biology - 6.8
Wow I barely remember this episode but I remember really hating the puppet episode that got second to last. Maybe I just blocked this one out entirely. They're trying to get a rich kid to enroll? And they're doing gym teacher training? I really don't remember this lol.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Top rated: s10e04: Charlie Work - 9.7
This is actually how I learned about this feature in the first place... I watched this episode and thought it was pretty cool and I wanted to see what people were saying about it, and someone on the subreddit pointed out that it was now the highest rated episode! Idk if it'll stay there, it just aired like yesterday I think. But it was pretty good. I think my favorite episode is prolly the one where Mac and Charlie get jobs in the mail room, or maybe where they try to get Charlie a date online.
Lowest rated: s07e05: Frank's Brother - 7.1
Ugh yeah... I wasn't a fan of this one... I really like that IASIP plays around with structure and premise in really wacky ways, but sometimes it's a big miss and it's too far off of base to rely on any of their normal strengths. This just seemed weird and unnecessary.

Life's Too Short
Top rated: s01e08: Easter Special - 7.8
Okay this is the correct choice but I feel like this is way too low a score. This is a hilarious, heartwarming story! It's pretty silly, yeah, but not so much that you can dismiss anything it's saying or doing... and on the meta-level, seeing Keith, Les, and Shaun have so much fun at their own expense while also just obviously having a lot of fun making the show... it's truly something special.
Lowest rated: s01e05
This is the one where he goes back to the dating agency, and tries to pick up girls at the bar... this is a BRUTAL episode! Like, especially brutal, even in this already pretty brutal show! Whatever, though... through cringing, you affirm your own understanding of goodness. Even Warrick learns lessons in this one.

Lucky Star
Top rated: s01e16: Ringu - 8.5
Wow yay I keep checking anime series and finally they had one! This is a pretty solid episode, now that I'm looking at it... solid school scene, the girls visiting the cosplay cafe where Konata works, MISAO SCENE! and Lucky Channel karaoke!
Lowest rated: s01e02: Doryoku to kekka - 6.3
Idk what's wrong with this one, just seems like a normal episode? The opening splitscreen of the twins is pretty neat... I guess nothing too crazy happens aside from that, so people just found it dull? Is there something I'm overlooking that everyone hated? So mysterious...

Parks and Recreation
Top rated: s07e04: Leslie and Ron - 9.5
Woah! I haven't even seen this one! I'm a season behind on this show, I should catch up sometime soon. Now I'm extra hype! Woah wait the second place I haven't seen either! I'm TWO seasons behind?? Ugh okay well uhh the one where Leslie and Ben get married was rated highly, and yeah, that was a really nice episode.
Lowest rated: s01e01: Pilot - 7.0
Huh, this isn't surprising, but kinda interesting... the first season gets completely crapped on. The "stupid Leslie" era. I think their development of her character is one of the most insightful realization in sitcom writing. It went from a cruel show about mocking people into a real pleasant and much funnier show that genuinely espouses the very values they originally mocked. Good job, team!

Peep Show
Top rated: s04e06: Wedding - 9.0
Yes okay correct. This is an absolutely insane episode which pushes the limits of like three forms of comedy all at once. It is surreally, painfully, funny. And sad! Brutally sad! I think when Sophie starts crying, it's one of the most bleak situations I can imagine. At least that I can imagine on a sitcom.
Lowest rated: s08e04: Big Mad Andy - 7.3
Yeah okay... idk I think at this point they had a few rough episodes where they were sorta stuck in their own plot. Like, there was so much stuff they had to "do" with Jeremy moving out and the various love triangles and stuff... they couldn't really spend as much time as they should have on the really funny elements.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Top rated: s01e12: My Very Best Friend - 8.5
I'm sorta surprised they have this show and then more surprised that not everything is like 10/10 'cause the Church of Madoka really are the type of people to votebomb imdb, I would think. The finale being on top is the exact opposite of a surprise, though.
Lowest rated: s01e02: That Would Be Truly Wonderful - 7.5
Idk I think there's a lot of metrics where this episode is basically the worst of them... not that that means it's bad by any stretch. And like, it was instrumental to the escalation of the first few episodes, but I guess we lose that sort of meaning when we go episode by episode.

South Park
Top rated: s05e04: Scott Tenorman Must Die - 9.2
I haven't kept up with South Park since like... season 10, I think? so it warmed my heart a bit to see this classic still at #1. My favorites are all Butters episodes...
Lowest rated: s15e02: Funnybot - 6.1
Hmm, I haven't seen this one, but the premise sounds pretty funny? I'm almost tempted to watch it now?? Would that be more or less of a waste of time than writing this post???

The Eric Andre Show
Top rated: s01e10: Ryan Phillippe - 9.8
Not many votes so the scores are kinda nuts I guess... This is a solid choice for #1, though. It has the legendary "Who can hold the most babies?" contest, and, like any Eric Andre season finale, things get completely insane. He just keeps escalating it and to me it just gets better... I think Bird Up! is the BEST SHOW on TELEVISION.
Lowest rated: s03e01: Seth Rogan and Asa Akira - 7.4
Idk what's wrong with this one, maybe people really didn't like the blender gag? It was pretty disturbing... This is actually probably one of the sanest episodes overall.

Okay I was gonna keep doing this but now I'm bored. I might do more later if I feel like it, it's kinda interesting.

No comments: