Thursday, February 5, 2015

Song of the Day #117 - Gucci Mane - Mama

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZdWWY5EAyA

I've been watching Noisey's Atlanta series, it's been pretty good so far. I feel like they need more Gucci content, though... they need to go see him in prison or something. Their use of this as the theme song is pretty sweet though, seems at once a both very inspired and obvious or necessary choice. Something about the effect on the voice at the beginning is really addictive, as is the super-long breakdown on "lose"... you can just picture Guwop bumming around the studio, singing it over and over again. And on the second verse, at like 2:50, when it's quietly played alongside the guy on the hook singing, it's so triumphant and bright that I feel like I have to shade my eyes. Gucci is still the GOAT and I will someday prove it to you all in an academic peer-reviewed journal.

No comments: