Tuesday, November 24, 2009

little reviews of everything: anime/manga edition

a few notes

-"steven why do you have so few 10s?" - because i idolize Piero Scaruffi some of the time.

-"why do you have so many 8s and 9s then?" - because i'm weak. also because these are reviews only of shows that i've watched to completion or read to completion or whatever or at least read as far along as they've been made. obviously i would've given up on them if they weren't good. except for a few cases where i've been stubborn.


ok here we go:

20th Century Boys - 9.8/10

Really great. Some of the latter arcs kinda dragged I guess but not really. The suspense! The character development! The mystery! The action! The charming portrayal of an otherwise inaccessible lifestyle! Great art and stuff too obviously. I need to get around to reading Monster.

Azumanga Daioh (Anime) - 9.5/10

Classic! I mean seriously what is not to love? Consistently funny with a real nostalgic warmth upon rewatching. 

Bakuman! (Manga) - 9.2/10

I dunno it's silly and stuff I guess. Usually pretty funny and suspenseful and exciting and all that. Art is fantastic, pretty insightful look into the industry. Actually I don't know what I think is wrong with it. There is something, though.

Beelzebub (Manga) - 8.0/10

Pretty fun maybe it's too young to judge. I like school rumblings and stuff and it's pretty wacky fun. I kinda think it might get bad pretty fast though.

Berserk (Manga) - 9.7/10

Do you want to feel like a man and see ridiculously cool artwork and watch a guy be more manly than man all while getting sorta grossed out? Read Berserk!! It is so cool!!

Bleach (Manga) - 4.5/10

Uh it used to be pretty fun. Occasionally I'll remember why I used to like it. These days it pretty much just sucks out loud though.

Claymore (Manga) - 8.5/10

Cool art when you get used to the style, cool premise, lots of action, very little to dislike. The pacing is kinda strange and sometimes it seems like he doesn't know where the story is going but oh well. It's no Berserk but it is pretty cool.

Cowboy Bebop (Anime) - 9.8/10

Probably doesn't need repeating again that this is one of the best animes around. Pulled entire audiences that were cool enough for adult swim but not nerdy enough for Japan, and for good reason. Good characters, excellent animation, probably the best soundtrack I've ever heard and the style is completely indescribable.

Death Note (Anime) - 8.5/10

Allow me to give the standard Death Note review which is it was awesome until SPOILERS Light turned good for awhile and then it was good until SPOILERS L died and then it was just decent.

Detroit Metal City (Anime) - 9.3/10

Hilarious, good (read: fast) pacing, lots of clever references and such. If Azumanga Diaoh is The Simpsons of Japan, and Lucky Star is Seinfeld, then this is Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Dragon Ball (Anime) - 7.8/10

Once a staple of my youth, but now I can see it for what it really is: usually pretty good shonen with slow as hell development.

Dragon Ball (Manga) - 8.8/10

Obviously better pacing than the anime by virtue of being able to read twenty pages of charging in five seconds instead of twenty minutes. Started fresh, became weirder and harder to get excited about. Still, it is a pillar of shonen quality.

Eyeshield 21 (Manga) - 8.4/10

Uh loads of fun shonen action with likable characters and such. I don't even like football but I like this.

Fairy Tail (Manga) - 8.7/10

Like One Piece but less. Good characters, but not as good as One Piece. Interesting story, but not as interesting as One Piece. I could write a lot about all the brilliant things Oda did with One Piece, and someday maybe I will, but the key difference between FT and OP is that FT only did some of them. 

FLCL (Anime) - 9.4/10

Pretty darn fun. Weird for the sake of style and never just for the sake of being weird, I can respect that. Plotline didn't matter which was fine too. Amazing level of depth in the characters despite it being so short and "wacky".

Hayate no Gotoku! - 8.3/10

Uh pretty fun but the way they kept adding elements was kinda inconsistent. Funny too with some nice references and parodies and what have you. Didn't really snag me though maybe I just need some sort of loli complex. Also relationship plotlines wear me out even if they're mostly for jokes.

Hikaru no Go - 8.2/10

Pretty suspenseful and well drawn. Made me think I understood Go but lol I clearly don't. But that's no knock to the quality of the series.

K-On! (Anime) - 7.6/10

I love this show but for no justifiable reason. Catchy music. Catchy-sounding voices. Visually catchy art. If crack tasted sweet, it would be this (note: I can only assume crack does not taste sweet please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Lucky Star (Anime) - 8.8/10

Calling it the moeblob Seinfeld would be a bit too kind, but it does hit me on a lot of the same levels. Nice stress-free watching, usually pretty funny, lots of quirky antics and memorable scenes.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Anime) - 9.5/10

First season was pretty good but the second season just blew me away. Endless Eight is pretty much the most incredible thing I've ever seen in anime. I could write on and on about how brilliant it was but whatever.

Naruto (Manga) - 7.0/10

Uh it started off good and it still has it's moments but really bad pacing, character development and a general feeling that Kishimoto has no clue about what he'll do next hinders it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Anime) - 10/10

Still the best, really. You can pick out flaws and call it overrated and be 100% accurate, but that doesn't really matter in the face of how amazing and groundbreaking this show was.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Manga) - 10/10

Improves on the show in a lot of ways but also lacks a few things that the show had (i.e. colour this is not a joke the colouring was very amazing on that show). Some of the best art I've seen in manga has been in this series.

One Piece (Manga) - 10/10

The pinnacle of shonen! A masterpiece! If this does not excite you and make you happy and sad and generally amaze you, you have no soul!

One Piece (Anime) - 8.4/10

To be fair I've only watched the filler and some of the fight scenes but what I've seen is pretty good. It's impossible to screw up the source material that badly and all the stuff they add is generally pretty good. Pacing is off and by that I mean it is way too slow.

Pokemon Special (Manga) - 9.2/10

It's Pokemon! Just like in the game sort of! Adventures! Pokemon! I love Pokemon!

Ranma 1/2 (Manga) - 9.3/10

I love Ranma, I read it when I was pretty young and it really stuck with me. Amazingly I didn't find the romantic subplots that tedious because I knew they were just leading to more wacky action I guess.

Samurai Champloo (Anime) - 9.3/10

Not as good as Bebop but still very good. In fact I hate myself for comparing it to Cowboy Bebop because everyone does that and then rags on this show, even the people making it I suspect always considered it not to live up to their previous work. On its own merits it's very good. Some of the best fight scenes I've seen, even living up to Spike's (argh!).

Tegan-Toppa Gurren Lagann (Anime) - 8.6/10

I dunno what to say about this show. It's awesome robot fighting yeah! Real GAR and inspirational and stuff but really what is to it? Touches on what my inner child thinks is awesome but his taste in things aside from giant robots and dinosaurs and such sucks. Still this show is pretty GAR.

Toradora (Anime) - 7.5/10

Uh it was pretty cute and I liked all the characters but relationship business sorta wears me out quick. Really nice animation, though, and I liked the ED.

Welcome to the NHK (Anime) - 9.7/10

Hilarious, poignant, great animation. Really sticks with you and makes you think and all of that. There won't be another anime like this for a long long time I think.

Welcome to the NHK (Manga) - 9.1/10

Too bleak I guess? I feel like a lot of the more profound lessons from the anime were lost in this one. But I guess this is more "realistic"? I do appreciate the no-holds barred attitude, though, even though the anime was already plenty frank.

Yotsubato! (Manga) -  9.9/10

Really really nice. Sometimes it's good to read something in a idyllic setting and just enjoy it. Scratch that it is always nice to do that.

i think there's some I forgot.

oh well.

it is good to write down opinions when you have them in case you never have them again!

No comments: