Tuesday, January 3, 2012

goodbye11/hello12

2011: You'd better retrospect yourself before you wreck yourself

So the year is finally over. Am I crazy or did that seem like an especially long year? Stuff just seemed to keep happening, good and bad. As far as media/art/entertainment sorts of stuffs went, although it wasn't really the “best year ever by such a large margin that all other years quit and decanonize themselves” like I had predicted, it was a pretty darn good year.

AS SUCH I AM GOING TO MAKE A BUNCH OF LISTS, because people seem to like lists.

But they won't be in this post, oh no, I am going to milk this for ALL that it is worth. So this is a further suspension of so-called regular blog features, yes.

But first a quick look at 2012: a few things I am looking forward to

Are silly apocalypse theories so prevalent now that the expected thing to do when talking about 2012 is that you make a joke about them? I really feel weird doing anything else uhh guys did you remember that there's an American election and those are usually like three solid months of the best entertainment we can handle? And then when Ron Paul/Herman Cain wins and we experience the collective quickening towards the higher consciousness of Quetzalcoatl I dunno something good will likely happen.

The Platform Master

In case you didn't know, they're making a movie about Nick Smith a.k.a. ulillillia a.k.a. my single favorite human of the internet. It's touring film festivals this year and they might actually bring along the man himself. You can bet I'd go to the far ends of the earth to meet ulillillia and maybe even get my copy of his book signed or something. Anyways the documentary itself looks to be pretty good. My understanding is that it will be both about his day-to-day life and also contain a lot of footage and interviews he himself did about the flooding. Interesting!

So obviously when I watched the trailer I was very excited but I also felt overwhelmed by another emotion, some sort of vague frustration. I really can't put my finger on it exactly. I think it's just that for so long I had contemplated various ulillillia-related ideas of documentaries or funding projects that when something like this happens it's like the rug getting pulled out from under my feet. Even though this, having actually been made, is many many times more concrete than anything I planned and I gotta think also many times better, just the fact that I “lost control” of it as an idea and now it exists beyond my scope. I felt a similar thing when that unreleased Radiohead track was unearthed – suddenly something I thought I had a total grasp on spun wildly beyond my understanding. Frustrating, but I think with another, better, attitude, it could actually be a very powerful and fun sort of feeling. So let's aim for that!

As far as the film itself goes, it's interesting 'cause it's been shot and finished and all that and yet ulillillia's just gone on with his projects with no noticeable changes. So I guess the documentary isn't some “break out of his shell and change his lifestyle” sort of challenge, thank god for that. What's really strange is that he didn't even mention it in any capacity whatsoever. I think he might have had a NDA or something but still. Funny. Exactly what I'd expect from him.

Das Racist Mixtapes

So apparently there were going to be three DR mixtapes released on January 1st. Wellll nope, but oh well. KOOL AD's is out and it is pretty great. “Lagrimas Blancas” has about as banging a beat as I've ever heard, rude essence of McCartney. Says he's James Murphy and then proves it twice over on “Fun”. Most of the other stuff goes pretty wildly between “interesting and catchy” to “interesting and grating” and I gotta think that will depend mostly on the person. Can't wait for the other two!

Katawa Shoujo

I'm playing this because there's no way I can be on /a/ and not play it. I'm looking to it I think but I dunno some aspects appeal to me and others really don't and really I guess the fun will be the latter becoming appealing?

K-On! Movie

I gotta assume I'm gonna BR rips of this by the end of the year. Geez I would hope.

Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo

>implying I'll see this before 2013


ANYWAYS THAT'S ABOUT IT FOR THAT BLOG POST I THINK

There should be one soon later about either books or tool-assisted speedruns in 2011.

No comments: