Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Blog Post Steven Only Knows


Manga

The World God Only Knows

So I got caught up with this. Pretty happy with it so far. I know people were complaining a lot about pacing and I can’t really speak to that having read it all at once and such. They transitioned nicely into longer arcs and a more invested plotline. The Goddess thing was a great way to revisit the best characters, although swimming girl is actually the best character so someone screwed up there. Maybe the karate club girl’s older sister arc was bit too long, yeah, especially since it didn’t really contribute to the overall plot too much, like, she didn’t end up having a Goddess or anything. Anyways the ending is in sight. Based on what I’ve seen on /a/, there’s a big war between the Chihiro and Ayumi fans over which one he’s gonna end up with. Huh? Dude I’m gonna be so disappointed if he ends up with a girl at the end. Slightly less disappointed if it’s Haqua. Also less disappointed and more confused if it’s Elsea. Tenri would be okay too I guess ‘cause he’d get to go back to games largely. If the ending has him learning that the real world isn’t so bad and he gives up games I’m gonna retch, but that’s pretty much what I’m expecting at this point. Ugh I dunno at least it should be an exciting arc. I liked how they escalated both the most traditional school story they’ve done and the most out-there supernatural story in parallel and then fused them, that was cool. But yeah:

Lil Demon Tier
Elsea

Awesome Tier
Haqua

Good End Tier
Tenri

Impossible Great End Tier
Minami

Cool Tier
Ayumi
Chihiro
Jun

Good Tier
Nanaka
Sumire
Yui
Shiori

Okay Tier
Kanon
Mio
Tsukiyo
Kusunoki
Hinoki

And all the non-target characters are great too.

BEFORE I WAS “MANGA SICK”

But now that I’ve caught up with two series and read like 250 chapters over like three days I feel “regular sick”.

But I’m FREE, back to REGULAR WEEKLY READINGS of a SET AMOUNT OF SERIES.

Why did I replace Bakuman with two series? Because Bakuman always took a long time to read.

Why did I choose two series that will likely end soon? Because I am dumb.

New Music

I have a lot of albums that came out quickly that I want to listen to that I might do “live reviews” of, ‘cause those are pretty fun. But at the same time I have to like, invest myself into doing it, and I also want to listen to the albums, so this is conflicting.

Albums are like:
El-P - Cancer for Cure
Death Grips - The Money Store
The Samuel Jackson Five – The Samuel Jackson Five
Spiritualized – Sweet Heart Sweet Light
KOOL A.D. - 51

Plus I still have to do 2011 albums aaaaaaaa

Also I called into a radio show that Dap and Blockhead were hosting. ARGH I REALIZE NOW I SHOULD HAVE ASKED ABOUT WINKY TATERS. Anyways we had a fun chat about Canada and Drake and such.

Anyways one new album I did listen to today is sasakure.UK’s The Fantastic Reality of Aesop, and one album I listened to yesterday was Le1f’s Dark York. Both of them were fantastic and I feel pretty confident saying that both of them are harbingers of new genres, vocalidmtune and darkironicwavewave respectfully. I don’t really have a whole lot more to say about them at the moment, I want to relisten to them first, but I was very impressed.

This blog post is short because I’ve decided short, frequent posts are better than infrequent long ones

No comments: