Saturday, May 10, 2014

Song of the Day #16: Freddie Gibbs & The World's Freshest - I Be On My Grind (ft. Trae Tha Truth & Yukmouth)

Freddie Gibbs really staying busy!

Pinata just came out earlier this year, and it was the sort of "big project" that usually serves as a major landmark in a career... But Gibbs just keeps going!

https://soundcloud.com/empiredistribution/freddie-gibbs-the-worlds-freshest-i-be-on-my-grind-ft-trae-tha-truth-yukmouth

Earlier I saw some Youtube comment or something on a Pinata track talking about how they really wanted to see Gibbs with Trae the Truth and I thought "yeah, that makes sense", and thought about how I ought to listen to some Trae, and maybe even today's Song of the Day was gonna be Trae, but I saw this was out and boom here we are. This is exactly what I wanted it to be. It's crazy that there's a rapper out there that can make Gibbs feel like the "pop" one on the track... "pop" isn't exactly the word I want here, but I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. His verse is awesome, I love the hustle he has on the hook. And then every time Trae comes in with his like completely impossibly low voice, I just freak out a little. I swear I remember another verse he has that he starts with the word "maneuvering". I don't know Yukmouth very well but he puts in work too: Louie Luggage, Gucci bucket, yeah. And oh man the production, so slick, so cloudy... World's Freshest living up to the name.

Probably no Song of the Day tomorrow, sorry >D<

No comments: