Saturday, October 23, 2010

favorite albums of 2010 thus far

So I was trying to figure out what my favorite albums of 2010 were so far 'cause you know I'm gonna make a big list near the end if I don't end up being lazy about it.

Anyways it seems pretty likely that I'll be lazy about it so I figured I might as well get some of my work done now when I don't feel so lazy about it.

So here we go:


71. Uffie - Sex, Dreams and Denim Jeans
70. Brackles - Songs for Endless Cities
69. Aerial Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
68. Black Sheep - From the Black Pool of Genius
67. Die Antwoord - $O$
66. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
65. Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
64. MF Grimm - You Only Live Twice
63. No Age - Everything in Between
62. PVT - Church with No Magic
61. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
60. Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner
59. Wale - More About Nothing
58. Holy Fuck - Latin
57. Yeasayer - Odd Blood
55. Stars - The Five Ghosts
54. Menomena - Mines
53. The Widdler - Origin
52. Random & K-Murdock - Forever Famicom
51. Vinne Paz - Season of the Assassin
50. LAKE R▲DIO - The Weather
49. CocoRosie - Grey Oceans
48. The Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea
47. Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute
46. Gogol Bordello - Trans-Continental Hustle
45. Ty Segall - Melted
44. Chali 2na - Fish Market Part 2
43. Baths - Cerulean
42. iLiKETRAiNS - He Who Saw the Deep
41. Nappy Roots - In the Pursuit of Nappyness
40. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
39. Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises
38. Tindersticks - Falling Down a Mountain
37. Owen Pallet - Heartland
36. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
35. Yellow Swans - Going Places
34. Venetian Snares - My So-Called Life
33. Wavves - King of the Beach
32. Ratatat - LP4
31. TOKiMONSTER - Midnight Menu
30. Wooden Shjips - Vol 2
29. A Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
28. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
27. Canyons of Static - Canyons of Static
26. The Books - The Way Out
25. World's End Girlfriend - The Seven Idiots
24. Major Lazer - Lazers Never Die
23. Four Tet - There is Love in You
22. Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer
21. Himuro Yoshiteru - Where Does Sound Come From?
20. Pack FM - I Fucking Hate Rappers
19. Beach House - Teen Dream
18. Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
17. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
16. The Flashbulb - Arboreal
15. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
14. Sleigh Bells - Treats
13. Shad - TSOL
12. Jónsi - Go
11. Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People EP
10. Kno - Death is Silent
9. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
8. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
7. The Roots - How I Got Over
6. Animal Collective - ODDSAC
5. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
4. Das Racist - Shut Up, Dude
3. Das Racist - Sit Down, Man
2. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
1. Avey Tare - Down There

So there's that. I think I'm forgetting a bunch. I just went through all the albums with the date tag of 2010 and grabbed all the ones I remembered being "quite good". There's I found that I couldn't even remember listening to, though, so I'll have to give them a spin and then rank them in here. Plus I think there's some that I listened to and liked that didn't have that tag, so I sorta missed them. Also the order is all screwed up because I'd kinda just look quickly and be like "well I liked it about as much as [other album], so I'll put it next to that" with the occasional "what the how did this get so far down here?!?!" so the whole thing is sort of scattershot. The top 20 or so I think are accurate, though. Hopefully by the end of the year I can come up with an even hundred with a nice little blurb about why I liked each of them. OR I COULD GET LAZY AND FORGET IT LIKE LAST YEAR. Wait did I make a list last year? Honestly can't remember.

Anyways just felt like doing something besides programming.

Oh yeah speaking of programming for all you zero fans of my game out there, I should have a new version ready to go soon. It'll have...
Actions!!!!
Abilities!!!!
Equipment!!!!
Customizable Stats!!!!
Elements!!!!
Status Effects!!!!

Essentially everything needed to emulate Pokemon! Although first I think I'll emulate FFTA2, 'cause that should be doable too. Honestly, though, does the idea of a Pokemon tactical RPG not excite you??? Because it definitely excites me.


Anyways um, what else is new? Nothing?

Well, I've been watching Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, it's pretty alright. Also the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has been hilarious. I am quite impressed by the consistent quality of that show.

Oh yeah, speaking of music, Avey Tare's Down There. This is a pretty amazing album (as you can see by my ranking it above even This is Happening and the twin Das Racist mixtapes) but I think its eventual showdown with Panda Bear's Tomboy will pretty much destroy my mind. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about his releasing Tomboy singles like this, though. Feel like it might detract from when I finally hear the whole thing? I guess no one's forcing me to listen to them, but... come on. They're just too good not to. Based on the singles, I kinda feel like I'll end up liking Tomboy better, but we'll see. What would be really nice is if Radiohead would release an album and at least let me avoid having to decide which one of them is my favorite album of the year.

I was going to talk for awhile longer about Down There, but I'm feeling a bit tired. I'll just leave you with these lyrics from the utterly mind-destroying "Laughing Hieroglyphic", courtesy of Lyrical Collective.

the flies in the dark with their ways of
shedding some light, now i've lost all my vein
i think they are very lucky
with internal parts like a lumens sun rays


I just have to take a second to explain how excellent the beginning of this album is. You got the "Down there!" shout in one creepy voice, followed by a creepy little outburst, and another creepy voice, and then some crazy cool swamp beats, and it's all just building... And then, it shifts into this entire other song structure. I'm tired and this is going to be hard to put into words, but, in a few songs, this one and "Mr. Fingers" off of ODDSAC come to mind immediately, there's this sense of the song building and shifting constantly for awhile, and then transitioning to the sort of structure it'll take for the rest of the track, but the way they transition into it gives this feeling of perpetual change and building intensity without actually needing to change the structure in any noticeable way, which would detract from the immersion.

OK I really am trying to sound less retarded when I talk about music but IT'S TOO MUCH FUN.

Anyways the song builds up all these elements and sounds and then, of all things, an accordion comes in, and really, from there, it's the accordion and the vocals driving the song. At least, it seems, but I feel it's more this... swirling murky background sound that is actually propelling the song, with Avey's heart-stopping vocals and the hypnotic accordion merely riding along. It makes me picture a raft rolling down a swampy river with Avey Tare playing accordion and singing his heart out on it and there's like, torches and crap, and it's like this surrealistic version of old Mark Twain stuff, like Robert Crumb does Mark Twain and uh.

It's a cool song is what I'm saying I think.

The lyrics are good too, I especially like the ones I posted there. The lyrical content of "Laughing Hieroglyphic" makes me think of a guy noticing something "the flies in the dark" and suddenly launching into this rambling train of thought where he addresses many issues in his life, i.e. an incident where his girlfriend went into a coma via drug overdose and now he guiltily returns to drugs to build confidence to visit her in the hospital and views the entire process of acceptance etc. as this bizarre swamp journey.

Yes I honestly feel like this is what this album is about. No, I'm not insane. I know Avey Tare is happily married to that angelic Kira lady from mum. It's fiction. I'll explain it more some other time.

I really do like when you have this sense of trying to follow someone's train of thought, though. I think I mentioned this before, with cLOUDDEAD and Joyce and such. Reverse engineering the thought process and such. Especially good is when you get a subcurrent of emotional connections on top of the logical ones.

So that's the first track. The rest is almost as good. Heather in the Hospital plus Lucky 1 at the end is actually about even with the beginning.

Oh and the album cover is cool too. I'm picking this one up physically as soon as possible.

No comments: