Friday, December 19, 2008

Show me one thing in the world that isn't phony

Watched the Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes that came with the dvds and were previously unaired.

Pretty funny, but understandable why they never made TV.

I edited in the Wikipedia descriptions of them too. I'm so helpful.

Also I watched the first few episodes of The Drinky Crow Show. Now, I'm a big fan of Maakies, so I had some pretty high expectations for this show. Really, I don't think it should have been a show. So much of the humour doesn't translate well.

Anyways, they did an OK job, but there's certain things that will just never translate to the TV show. I think the biggest one is the static nature of cartoons, and how it really places emphasis on violence. Gary Trudeau of the Far Side series talked about this. He would get complaints for portraying violence that was a hundred times tamer than that seen on any daytime cartoon. He worked out that the problem was this: in an animated cartoon, violence usually just leads to the character being alive and well in the next scene, or at least leads to the credits. But on paper, every time you look at it, the violence is occurring. That's what made Maakies so great. When Drinky Crow shoots himself in the head in the comics, the comic is over and he really has killed himself. When he shoots himself in the show, he's back in the next scene.

Also Drinky Crow's voice bothers me. Gabby's is good, though. I think there's too many sex and violence jokes, as well. As I said, it doesn't have the same punch as in the comics, so why bother? I think they need to make the episodes shorter too. The characters lend themselves best to a few gags at a time, not a continuing plotline. The exception, of course, is the multi-part comics, like the one where captain's daughter is kidnapped, but those aren't really supposed to be funny.

Show's still pretty good though. Something to watch, at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A NEWBORN BABE!!!

but that's about it