Monday, August 20, 2012

CENTIHURTS AOTY

Do you guys remember when Animal Collective streamed their new album Centipede Hz and it was Album of the Year?

Oh yeah I remember that! It was pretty amazing. Well I mean I can't really compare it to any of their past albums without hearing it a few more times in good quality, it's hard to insert it into the canon otherwise. I do have some initial thoughts though:

-A lot of times they went like "post-jam". There weren't as many near-memetic moments of anthemic repetition that served as the really accessible catchy part of MPP.

-Also a lot of times they went "post-beautiful" too. On ODDSAC they had a sort of renaissance of the really beautiful acoustic stuff circa Feels etc, but that didn't really materialize here.

-As such this album has probably the least amount of traditional song elements and yet a lot of songs still had a very traditional song structure. Not sure what to make of this strange almost paradoxical feeling of pop and not pop.

-Basically I didn't really know what I was listening for yet but it was still just overwhelming and awesome and amazing and all that.

When it actually comes out I'll listen to it again and hopefully have something coherent to say about it.

Oh yeah let's look at my predictions from back in this blog post:

01 Moonjock – Prolly will have some sort of spacey intro with a creepy robot voice. And then it will be a jam.
-Sorta correct I guess.
02 Today's Supernatural – Slice of life sort of lyrics that might actually make me cringe if I don’t fall in love with them immediately. Really fun noisey poppy beats.
-Pretty accurate.
03 Rosie Oh – Swirling surrealistic jam, voice modulations like crazy near the end.
-Yeah sorta.
04 Applesauce – Folksy grind feels “transcendental” and “way too beautiful”. Largely Deakin-driven.
Nah not really this was more poppy.
05 Wide Eyed – Intersection of the Avey Tare and Panda Bear “lovesong”. Probably about fatherhood in some capacity.
Here the Deak was in full force but it seemed pretty Noah-esque too.
06 Father Time – Probably the same song as “A Long Time Ago”. Probably a lot of these songs have bootlegs but I’m too lazy to look into it right now. Jam of the century.
Less Jam more Ham but still amazing yup.
07 New Town Burnout – Almost a rock song sort of thing that follows some sort of narrative. The sort of thing I will respect but on some level always want to skip because it’s just too long or something.
Totally wrong. Thank God.
08 Monkey Riches – Way too short kaleidoscope of noise that sounds like absolutely nothing that has ever been done before.
This is true but I wouldn't have guessed 6 minutes would feel way too short.
09 Mercury Man – Hearkens back to space themes on track 1. Like their “Space Oddity”, captures the “space” in music. Feels like a finale but:
Not really. These sort of tracks didn't really exist on the album.
10 Pulleys – The new “Banshee Beat”. Nah probably not but something light and mysterious with a very delicate sadness. Feels like it’s been meticulously constructed but is also sublimely simple.
Kind of. I'm sure it'll grow on me but right now I wouldn't say this can hold a candle to anything comparable to Banshee Beat.
11 Amanita – Jam of a lifetime, track of the year, feels like your brain is being wrung through a hose laced with designer-grade hallucinogens.
Yup.


Okay let's now look at some other predictions I made: SAIMOE


I'm gonna copy over my predictions for the matches that have happened. Bold is my prediction, italics is who I wanted to win, and now underline is gonna be who actually won.

I'm gonna uh... award myself 1 point for each one I got right, and 1 point to the elevens for each one they got right (via having the same taste as me).

Group A

Himari Takakura @ Mawaru Penguindrum
Saki Miyanaga @ Saki
Maho Misawa @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Nanako Dojima @ Persona 4
Saki stomped everybody pretty well, which was good.


Illyasviel Von Einzbern @ Fate/Stay Night
Moko Tsuiki @ Saki
Yoshinoya @ Hidamari Sketch

Not too surprising, glad to see some type-moon presence in the later rounds because their fanbase can get nicely dramatic.


Nako Oshimizu @ Hanasaku Iroha
Mero Furuya @ Sankarea
Maria Takayama @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
Maria held up pretty well, which seems good for the other Tomodachis because I didn't think Maria was especially popular out of them.

Remon Yamano @ Ano Natsu De Matteru
Miyuki Tsubakino @ Saki
Masamune Usami @ Mayo Chiki!
This sorta surprised me but I really know very little about any of the characters so whatever.


Lingyin Huang @ Infinite Stratos
Mahiru Inami @ Working!
Miya Tachibana @ Amagami SS
This was a happy surprise, I should've realized that Infinite Stratos is sorta on an off-year this year while Working had a pretty well liked second season.


Kiyomi Sakura @ Squid Girl
Kobato Hasegawa @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
Riko Yasufuku @ Saki

See yeah this is one of the more popular Tomodachis and she crushed pretty hard. I dunno how much further she'll get though.

Tiffania Westwood @ Zero's Familiar
Yuuki Kataoka @ Saki
Rika Shiguma @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai

One of the strongest Sakis I think. I'm okay with that.

Asia Argento @ High School DxD
Ghutatan @ Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
Tsukasa Ayatsuji @ Amagami SS
I'm not a huge fan of Amagami by any stretch but I always liked this character, glad to see this win.


Reika Aoki @ Smile Pretty Cure!
Raika Oda @ Papa No Iukoto O Kikinasai!
Cecilia Alcott @ Infinite Stratos
Again I overrated Infinite Stratos. A happy sort of mistake to realize, but a mistake nonetheless...


Crea Dolosera @ Aquarion Evol
Saki Mizukoshi @ Natsuiro Kiseki
Yuno Gasai @ Future Diary

No surprises, this that new Yandere era etc. Her round 2 will be pretty intense.


Koromo Amae @ Saki
Charlotte E Yeager @ Strike Witches
Lynette Bishop @ Strike Witches

Koromo crushing! Wow. Even combined, the witches couldn't have won. Insane. I'm hyped for Koromo vs. Saki group finals, but...

Aoi Ogiyama @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Miki Hoshii @ The Idolmaster
Tomoka Minato @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!

Wow this one was intense. Such high vote counts in the first round! Was Miki propped up by an anti-Ro-Kyu-Bu brigade? I don't know but this was quite the close victory. Miki has like a ton of momentum now I bet...


Group A final scores:

Me: 8/12 predicted correctly

Elevens: 8/12 made the correct choice of most moe

Group A Round 2 predictions:

Saki Miyanaga @ Saki

Illyasviel Von Einzbern @ Fate/Stay Night

Nako Oshimizu @ Hanasaku Iroha

Remon Yamano @ Ano Natsu De Matteru
Mahiru Inami @ Working!
Kobato Hasegawa @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai

Yuuki Kataoka @ Saki
Tsukasa Ayatsuji @ Amagami SS
Reika Aoki @ Smile Pretty Cure!

Yuno Gasai @ Future Diary
Koromo Amae @ Saki
Miki Hoshii @ The Idolmaster
(I had a really hard time choosing here...)

Group B is almost finished so I'll probably have a post about that in the near future


I was gonna post stuff about anime but I feel like getting more caught up before


So uh for now just enjoy the SECOND POST OF TODAY??? CRAZY!?!??!

No comments: