Friday, May 16, 2014

Song of the Day #21: Waka Flocka Flame - Karma (Feat. YG Hootie, Popa Smurf & Slim Dunkin)

Three weeks worth of song of the day!

Hooray! There probably won't be any until Monday, though. I'm going somewhere with ~~~no internet~~~, how spooky.


I think this is THE Waka Flocka Flame song. It has everything I want in trap music, basically. The beat is classic Lex Luger, especially on the parts near the end when they get those heavy chimes and stuff. I don't think I'll ever be able to put the appeal of a beat like this into words, it's just beyond things like that. "I told my lawyer to get my back for all the crazy shit I did" is like the greatest opening to a hook ever. "Shout out to that fuck nigga tried to rob me at the Wal-Mart/Ran up on his car had him eating shells like Mario Go Kart" has the entire album's lifestyle and knowledge base. You get the required "crazy rappers no one's ever heard of with hilarious names going way too fucking hard", special shout outs to Papa Smurf (rapgenius just now explained to me why his name is actually pretty clever but whatever) and the opening of his verse, which is seriously athletic and on point. This song just has everything you could want from this sorta music.

No comments: