Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Song of the Day #103 - Montana from 300 - Chiraq (Remix)

Hey, man, I'm done holdin' back on you niggas


Earlier this year Eminem made a song called Rap God which I guess was sorta response to Kendick's Control verse... like "Why be a king, when you can be a God?" was a line, something like that. Well... posturing and stuff is fine, it's fun to rap about being the best rapper, but if the trend is more and more towards exhibitionism, then you get this sort of... echo chamberness, right? Where the purpose of a "GOAT verse" is to prove that you're the GOAT, and it's written to that effect... written to just emphasize your ability.

And then you get rappers like KOOL A.D., who drop things like "Dum Diary" or "Life & Times" that have like... GOAT verses, verses that you can easily point to and say "that guy's skill is like no one else". But he like, subverts the whole "GOAT" debate by mocking it, and stuff, while still remaining like, a contender.

Okay but with this song? Rap is over now. I wonder if this is like... when punk music started, maybe. I look back at other hip hop and it's like... who cares? Like, how did people make music after this? Do you see this? For like 4 minutes he just raps nonstop. He says this:

I remember way back when we was broke, we was crying, momma high as hell
To us she was a loving mother but to other motherfuckers she was clientele
And I remember begging her to stop and every single night when I told her that
I'ma get big and buy a bunch of guns
And kill every nigga that done sold her crack
It's almost 20 years later, now she finally sober
But that was the shit that I prayed about
I thank God I made it out
Damn it feels good to go pick up my momma and take her out

??? how is this happening??? I gotta think about stuff...

No comments: