Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Song of the Day #124 - Drake - Know Yourself

I was runnin' through the 6, with my woes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkIH_VYaI4g

I dunno man for awhile Drake really bugged me... with his Degrassi heritage and general goofiness, I couldn't really take him seriously at all. Worst was the jarring conflict between his really emotional songs and his "bangers"... the emotional songs didn't interest me at all and only served to make his "bangers" seem entirely meaningless. Ah, but then, sometime in 2013, I started listening to "Started from the Bottom" like 20 times in a row, and I realized that it was both, it was the "emotional banger" of dreams that I'd always forgotten. That's when I got it, and the whole of his discography opened itself up to me. Well, now he's on some other shit again, with all this "6" posturing, and again - it sorta bugged me. Like, Toronto? Really? You're gonna start calling that 6? It sits poorly with my beloved Atlanta Zone 6. Like is your city really that turnt up? So idk again I didn't really take him seriously and I didn't care, but oh man - you know what did it. If you know this song you know what did it. 1:40, I felt it! I believed it! And the truth of the whole song, and all of If You're Reading This It's Too Late, unfolded from believing that one line. And now I'm pretty excited for Views from the 6! Wow! 2015, what the hell? How many albums are you gonna have???

No comments: